Traditional artist Mark Swanberry, born and raised in Schoharie County, works primarily with copper and stone. He draws his inspirations from natural beauty and harmony he sees in the Boreal forest around him and strives to incorporate the philosophy of Feng shui in his work.
1. Had you always wanted to be an artist?
I do not recall, even from an early age, a time that I did not want to be creative.
2. Whose work has inspired you?
Early impressions were left on me by artists like Walt Disney and Dr. Seuss.
3. How would you describe your art?
I would describe my work as being natural, organic assemblages.
4. What is it about nature that inspires your work?
Elements in nature are perfectly composed, flawless, and honest.
5. What brought you to this area/ what kept you here?
I was born in Schoharie County. My family roots here go back to the early 1800s. I love the geology, history, flora and fauna, and, of course, the amazing seasons. There's no place I'd rather be.
You can see Mark Swanberry's artwork on AHA! A House for Arts.