Prescription Drugs Non-adherence to prescription drug directions is a growing epidemic. Failure to take medicines as prescribed may lead to future health issues. Prescription pain killer abuse is another growing problem and can lead to death. We examine what you need to know when medicines are prescribed, including tips for medication management and talking with your pharmacist.
Jeffrey M. Brewer, Pharm.D, BCPS, BCACP
Dr. Jeffrey Brewer is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice at Albany College of Pharmacy.
John T. McDonald III, R.Ph
John McDonald is Vice President and Co-owner Marra's Pharmacy, Inc., located in Cohoes. He a registered pharmacist and serves as the Mayor of the City of Cohoes.
Beth van Bladel, CPA
Beth van Bladel is the Founder and Director of Capital Region Patient Advocacy, a grassroots endeavor dedicated to teaching healthcare advocacy and navigation skills to our community. She develops healthcare navigation tools, facilitates caregiver discussion groups and teaches workshops such as "Preparing for the Doctor’s Visit and Communicating Your Medical Concerns," "The Ins and Outs of Medication Management" and "Navigating the Hospital Discharge Process: Transitioning from Hospital to Home".
Tools and Resources from the Capital Region Patient Advocacy
• Institute for Safe Medication Practices Consumer Brochures
• The Center for Improving Medication Management & the National Council on Patient Information and Education
• Information on medical errors from MedlinePlus.
• Information on prescription medication abuse from the National Institutes of Health.
• Visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for helpful, up-to-date information on drugs.
• Information from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on what you should know about proper disposal of unused medicines.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to be medical advice. By clicking the links above, you will be leaving WMHT.org. WMHT Educational Telecommunications has *not* made any determination about the quality of the information within these links, nor does it endorse any information, service, product or company included within the links above.
Stock Photos provided by Shutterstock.