Who We Are
WMHT, the multichannel public media organization, is seeking passionate members of our community to help us as we work to tell the stories of our community, better engage the people who define our community, and build programs and services connected to our community. The WMHT Community Advisory Board will comprise 34 – 46 members of our community and will represent different regions, people, and communities we serve.
What is a Community Advisory Board
As its name implies, the Community Advisory Board is advisory in nature. Community Advisory Boards are mandated by the Communications Act to “to review the programming goals established by the station, the service provided by the station, and the significant policy decisions rendered by the station.” The legislation continues, “The role of the board shall be solely advisory in nature, except to the extent other responsibilities are delegated to the board by the governing body of the station. In no case shall the board have any authority to exercise any control over the daily management or operation of the station.”
What this project is
We are looking for champions, community leaders, and those who are passionate about this region and their communities who are willing to help us better serve you, your family, friends, and neighbors. WMHT needs you to help guide us in providing innovative and more thoughtful content, programs, and services.
Expectations of the CAB
- Be willing to meet four times a year, twice at WMHT and twice in your community.
- Live and/or work in the broadcast area we reach. Click here to view coverage map.
- This is a two-year commitment - March 2018-March 2020.
What WE will accomplish
- Discuss the future of Public Media and how it can enhance our community.
- Open dialogue about your community’s strengths and challenges
- Use the feedback and your insights to help guide the organization’s strategic planning.
- We are looking for representative diversity - geographical, economic, cultural, and ideological.
- You do NOT need be a member to apply.
- Please fill out this application by March 18, 2018
- We will take every step possible to represent our community with this advisory board. If there is a person or group you think should be represented in the mix, please encourage them to apply!
- Questions? Email Jenn Baumstein at email@example.com
WMHT, located in New York State's Capital Region serving Eastern New York and Western New England, is the only locally owned, nonprofit, multichannel public communications organization that reaches beyond the traditional broadcasting model to act as a leader by convening arts, culture, learning and civic interests. WMHT focuses on Community, Culture and Connections by providing entertainment, enrichment and engagement through television, radio, digital media, and educational services. Services include WMHT-DT (17.1), WMHT-Create (17.2), WMHT-World (17.3), WMHT PBS Kids (17.4), WMHT-FM 89.1 & 88.7 (classical public radio); and EXIT 97.7 WEXT (AAA public radio). WMHT also operates RISE, a radio reading service for the visually and print disabled.