Everyone’s got stress but is it controlling your life? While some stress is beneficial, too much can have negative effects on your health and well-being. On HEALTH LINK we'll examine stress management; learn how to identify the stressors in your life and how to navigating life's challenges with greater ease. From biofeedback to massage therapy, we’ll share stress busting techniques that will help you tame your stressors.
Gwen Guarino, LMT
Gwen Guarino is a New York State Licensed Massage Therapist practicing in Clifton Park. Gwen combines Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, Connective Tissue Work and other modalities to address the specific needs of each of her clients. She also teaches continuing education classes for Massage Therapists at Mildred-Elley.
Selma Nemer, PhD
One Roof founder Selma Nemer is a licensed psychologist who specializes in releasing repetitive destructive patterns of behavior through insight, awareness, deep listening and breath work. Also a meditation teacher, Nemer works with individuals to restore emotional regulation from dis-regulation, to respond rather than react and to quiet within. She also is a Co-facilitator of the Saratoga Stress Reduction Program.
Cindy Perlin, LCSW, BCIAC
Cindy Perlin is licensed by the state of New York as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and certified by the Biofeedback Certification International Alliance (BCIA) as a biofeedback practitioner. She has been helping people achieve their health and wellness goals for over 16 years. Her practice is located in Delmar, New York, near Albany.
Cindy Perlin’s recommendations for software and apps related to biofeedback and stress:
- Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB): www.aapb.org
- International Society for Neurofeedback and Research (ISNR): www.isnr.net
- A simple, hand held biofeedback device, that Cindy showed during the show, is the Stress Thermometer, can be found for $21.95 at www.amazon.com.
- Heart rate variability training devices that are hand held or for PC or Apple Products can be found for $129-$299 at www.heartmath.com.
- The eSense Temperature training device, used with Apple and Android apps, for $129, can be found at http://www.mindfield.de/en/products/eSense/eSense-Temperature.html
- The Breathe2relax app that coaches relaxed breathing, developed by the National Center for Health and Technology, can be downloaded for free from the itunes app store for Apple products or from Google Play for android products. This app doesn’t involve biofeedback, per se, but is still a good relaxation training option.
Please note that Cindy Perlin does not recommend getting home training devices for neurofeedback (brain wave biofeedback) because it is possible to do harm if you don’t know what you’re doing.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to be medical advice. By clicking the links above, you will be leaving WMHT.org. WMHT Educational Telecommunications has *not* made any determination about the quality of the information within these links, nor does it endorse any information, service, product or company included within the links above.
Stock Photos provided by BigStock.