TvFILM engages local filmmakers to discuss the inspiration, ideas, and concepts behind their work. In addition, TvFILM profiles the people, places and events that are shaping WMHT’s growing independent film and media community. TvFILM is now in its 10th season - a decade of highlighting upstate media-makers - and we are looking to amplify our relationships with you!
Beginning this year (2018), WMHT will introduce a two-day filmmaking competition for all Capital Region creatives. This short term, fast-paced event will allow you to create thematically-driven pieces that will live on wmht.org/tvfilm after the competition. Highlights from competition will be aired throughout the 2018 TVFilm series and winners’ work will be shown on WMHT. This inaugural event will occur the weekend of JUNE 8-10, 2018. Application details & facts and FAQs are below.
If you are interested in submitting your film for the traditional TvFILM competition and do not want to participate in TvFILM Fest, please fill out this form by May 31st!
If you have any questions about TVFilm, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facts and FAQs
When is TvFILM Fest?
The weekend of June 8-10, 2018
What is the schedule?
Roughly, we will have the “kick off event” Friday early evening. Teams will have until Sunday at 2 pm to create their film and send it as a Vimeo or Private YouTube link to WMHT. The film will be judged *that day* by our panel, and the teams will reconvene Sunday evening for a screening of all films and reveal of the winners.
- Camera Person
- Beyond that, you can choose what you want. People can serve multiple roles, of course, but there must be a team (defined as 3 – 8 people)
- We will have 12 teams at most so sign up and please be respectful and let us know ASAP if you have to drop out.
Each team must have a(n):
How Much Does This Program Cost?
The event is FREE! You must register though.
What will be provided?
- Refreshments throughout the weekend
- Critique of film by panel of industry professionals.
- Screening of all the films that weekend after the Fest’s completion.
- Schwag (a sweet TvFILM Fest shirt)
- WMHT will be document the weekend and will air many, if not all teams in their process during the TvFILM season, online and on television.
- All completed films will live on wmht.org after the completion of the 2018 TvFILM season.
All teams must furnish their own equipment (video, audio, lighting).
The topic will be selected prior to the weekend but teams will be notified at the kick off Friday afternoon.
Length of Film
- Make a strong short film.
- Must be between 3 and 8 min.
When is the Screening
Sunday, June 10 at 6pm. Friends and families are invited.
- All footage and imagery MUST be collected during the 48 hours of production. An additional content will automatically disqualify you.
Why is this worth it for me?
- This is a way to connect with your local public television station, a time to network with other independent filmmakers in the area, a chance to hone your craft and get feedback from industry professionals, increase exposure to your work, and, of course, the potential to be on television.
- You may even be able to help guide TvFILM and TvFILM Fest moving forward. This is our first year with the initiative so we are ready and willing to make the Fest bigger and better.
- We (the staff at WMHT) are looking forward to connecting with you and experiencing TvFILM in a new and exciting way.