Watch previews, scenes and cast interviews from some of your favorite PBS Arts & Entertainment programs. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please try our video player. Click on any of the following programs to watch their respective previews.
Arts & Entertainment Program Previews
Big Band Vocalists
Watch Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 2pm on WMHT TV.
This MY MUSIC special looks back at the timeless “crooners” and “canaries” of the 1940s, featuring the greatest vocalists of the period when they started their careers performing with orchestras and dance bands. The most popular singers ultimately became stars on their own. Hosted by Nick Clooney and Peter Marshall.
Taken from long-unseen film footage dating from the 1940s and 1950s, this nostalgic look back offers romantic favorites from an all-star roster of legendary artists such as Louis Armstrong, Perry Como, Doris Day, Helen Forrest, Dick Haymes, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford & the Pied Pipers and many more.
Among the classic World War II-era bands backing up the vocalists are groups led by Benny Goodman, Harry James, Bob Crosby, Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey, Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Ray Noble and others.
BIG BAND VOCALISTS (MY MUSIC) features these performances:
- “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree” – The Andrews Sisters with Harry James Orchestra
- “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” – Louis Armstrong
- “Somebody Loves Me” – Tex Beneke
- “Tampico” – June Christy with Stan Kenton Orchestra
- “I’ll Dance at Your Wedding” – Buddy Clark with Ray Noble Orchestra
- “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” – Rosemary Clooney
- “On the Sunny Side of the Street” – Nat King Cole & Tony Martin
- “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now” – Perry Como with Ted Weems Orchestra
- “Big Noise From Winnetka” – Bob Crosby & Orchestra
- “It’s Magic” – Doris Day
- “Green Eyes” – Bob Eberle & Helen O’Connell with Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra
- “You’ll Never Know” – Alice Faye
- “I Had the Craziest Dream” – Helen Forrest with Harry James Orchestra
- “You Send Me” – Dick Haymes
- “Why Don’t You Do Right” – Peggy Lee with Benny Goodman Orchestra
- “Cow-Cow Boogie” – Ella Mae Morse with Freddie Slack Orchestra
- “We Mustn’t Say Goodbye” – Lanny Ross with Freddy Martin Orchestra
- “Blues in the Night” – Dinah Shore with Duke Ellington Orchestra
- “Night & Day” – Frank Sinatra
- “God Bless America” – Kate Smith
- “It Started All Over Again” – Jo Stafford & the Pied Pipers with Tommy Dorsey Orchestra