- Community Calendar
- New York/U.S./World News
- Education at WMHT
- WMHT American Graduate
- Community Conversations
What do students have to say about the dropout crisis?
Students from schools around the Capital Region share their insights and opinions about what students drop out of school and answer a variety of questions about what students need and the challenges students face as they work toward high school graduation.
The following videos were edited by Ben Maloney, a senior at Tech Valley High School in Rensselaer, NY. Students at Tech Valley High School complete a J-Term project which requires students to research topics of interest to them by meeting professionals, visiting a business or institution, and conducting research into what it takes to be successful in that career. In January 2012, Ben worked on media projects with the WMHT Education Department in fulfillment of his J-Term project.
• Hear from Brunswick-Brittonkill Central School District middle and high school students. View video below.
• Hear from Capital Region BOCES Career & Technical School students. View video below. (9:34)
View Capital Region BOCES Career & Technical School Video by chapter:
• Why do students drop out? View video below. (1:48)
• Have you ever thought about dropping out of high school? View video below. (1:15)
• What are the challenges you or others face in completing high school? View video below. (2:21)
• What supports do you think are needed to help students to graduate? View video below. (1:48)