Last Updated by
Eggplant | Peanut Stew Chef Gabriela Alvarez of Liberation Cuisine makes Peanut Stew.
¼ + 2 tablespoon cup peanut oil
1 ¼ cup peanut
1 large yellow onion, small dice
1⁄4 cup minced ginger
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1 buena mulata hot pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 whole cloves
5 ounces tomato paste
4 cup vegetable broth
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 1/2 pound potato
3/4 pound eggplant
salt, to taste
1. In blender, puree peanuts and 1/4 cup peanut oil until smooth.
2. In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoon peanut oil over medium heat. Add
3. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic for another 1-2 minute. Stir in dry spices and chiles de arbol. Cook another 1 minute, stirring so that it does not burn.
4. Add tomato paste and cook another 30 seconds, stirring.
5. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Chef Gabriela Alvarez, Kitchen Manager for Soul Fire Farm's Black-Latinx Farmers Immersion Program and owner of Liberation Cuisine