Communities are working together to improve 21st century learning and increase high school graduation rates to prepare more students for college and careers. Click here to read more about the American Graduate Initiative and what your community is doing to help.
See youth media made by our student reporters, and learn about the Youth Voices project.
Learn more about the P.O.V. documentary and our New York NOW education special.
A digital-only series examining success from early childhood to high school graduation.
Statistics, Data and Resources
Click the links below for statistical information regarding America’s dropout crisis.
• Today, more than one million children do not graduate high school with their peers.
Source: Stillwell, R., and Sable, J. (2013). Public School Graduates and Dropouts from the Common Core of Data: School Year 2009–10: First Look (Provisional Data) (NCES 2013-309). U.S. Department of Education. Washington, DC: National Center for Education Statistics. - http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2013/2013309rev.pdf
• Although there has been progress in boosting graduation rates, the four-year graduation rate is still 66 percent or less for African American students in 20 states and for Hispanic students in 16 states.
• There are eleven states in which the graduation rate for white students is 89 percent or higher, but no state where this is true for African American, Hispanic, or economically disadvantaged students.
• New York would need to see an annual graduation rate improvement of 3.8% for African American students in order for 90% to graduate high school in 2020. New York is currently at an annual improvement of 3.2%.
• New York would need to see an annual graduation rate improvement of 3.9% for Hispanic students in order to achieve 90% graduation rates in 2020. New York is currently at an annual improvement of 3.1%.
Additional Data and Resources:
• National Center for Education Statistics
• Building a Grad Nation Report
• American Graduate CPB Report
• All for Education
• Alliance for Quality Education College and Career Readiness Report Card